Football League: Broom helps Plymouth take Ligue 1 lead | Football league


Plymouth rose to the top of League One after overtaking Burton. Ryan Lowe’s men are above Wycombe on goal difference thanks to their 2-1 victory at Home Park and games involving Sunderland and Wigan being postponed.

Conor Grant opened the scoring after 15 minutes to put the hosts in control and Ryan Broom swept his team’s second just before half-time. Lucas Akins brought in a goal for the visitors but they couldn’t find a leveler and sit 10th.

Wycombe passed with a bang Gillingham 2-0, having indeed sealed the victory in the first seven minutes. Garath McCleary and Brandon Hanlan scored early, with Hanlan also touching the post in the second half, as Gareth Ainsworth’s side claimed seven straight home league wins. Vadaine Oliver missed a first-half penalty for Gillingham, who is two points above the last four. Wycombe is one point ahead of third-placed Wigan who played one more game.

Lee Gregory’s second half winner gave Sheffield Wednesday a 1-0 win over Bolt. The forward finished Jack Hunt’s low cross at Hillsborough to leave the Owls one point behind the top six.

Ipswich climbed to 14th place after a 2-1 win over other wrestlers Shrewsbury. Conor Chaplin’s opener in the 23rd minute gave the hosts the advantage only for Shaun Whalley’s fine 20-yard run to equalize five minutes later. Paul Cook’s side restored their lead to win after 54 minutes when QPR lender Macauley Bonne headed their eighth goal in seven games.

In Ligue 2, Harroger scored five goals in the first half as they won 6-1 against Scunthorpe and moved to second place in the standings. Ryan Fallowfield’s header came back from the crossbar and the ball fell gently for Jack Muldoon to shoot home in the eighth minute. They doubled their advantage thanks to Alex Pattison’s fine finish on Muldoon’s defensive pass. The creeping home team added a third soon after thanks to Jack Diamond and it was four per half hour as he quickly broke and played the ball for Pattison to sweep the house.

Jack Diamond scores Harrogate’s third goal en route to a 6-1 victory over Scunthorpe. Photograph: Richard Sellers / PA

Muldoon’s second goal of the game took the score to 5-0 in the second minute of the first-half stoppage time and after Harry Davis scored a consolation for Scunthorpe Lewis Thompson was sent off for a second offense to be reserved while conceding a penalty. Danilo Orsi scored a landslide victory on the spot.

Swindon beat the league leaders, Green forest, 2-0 thanks to goals from Harry McKirdy and Tyreece Simpson in the second half. They opened the scoring after 55 minutes when McKirdy pounced on a Ben Gladwin cross and it was 2-0 with nine minutes remaining when a McKirdy through ball was converted by Ipswich Loanee Simpson.

Swindon goalkeeper Lewis Ward fouled Josh March to concede a penalty in the stoppage time but made amends by saving March’s shot on goal.

Sutton edged out a seven-goal home thriller against Port-Vale. Nathan Smith headed into the opening game for Jamie Proctor’s precise center visitors, then found the bottom corner with a smart finish.

Sutton was back after 36 minutes when Rob Milsom’s shot deflected and everything was on point in the 69th minute when Ben Garrity headed for his own net. Vale was back in the lead after 78 minutes when Tom Conlon punched a shot in the bottom corner, but Sutton again equalized through Will Randall’s header before snatching the points with a rough winner in Coby’s stoppage time. Rowe.

Wheelbarrow and Leyton East drew 1-1 as Robbie Gotts’ first game for the home side was called off by the close range end of Omar Beckles.

Walsall left late to sink Salford 2-1 as Conor Wilkinson scored the game-winning goal in the fifth minute of added time. A superb solo effort from Kieran Phillips gave the Saddlers the lead after just 29 seconds, but Salford equalized thanks to Ashley Eastham’s header from a corner.

Bristol Rovers eased the pressure on boss Joey Barton with a 3-0 win over Carlisle, with Antony Evans, Sam Nicholson and Harvey Saunders scoring, while Hartlepool came from behind to beat Northampton 2-1.

Sam Hoskins stole in the opener for Northampton, but a quick response from David Ferguson and a neat volley from Luke Molyneux secured the points in the 83rd minute.

The Fiver: Sign up and receive our daily football email.

Kwesi Appiah’s fourth goal of the season deserved Crawley a 1-0 win at Rochdale, while Elliott List scored twice to win Stevenage one point in a 2-2 draw against Exeter. Sam Nombe and Matt Jay had given Exeter the lead twice. Mansfield v Oldham and Newport v Bradford both finished aimlessly.


Comments are closed.