Football League roundup: Sheffield Wednesday climb into top six with win | soccer league


Sheffield Wednesday bolstered their hopes of an immediate return to the Championship with an impressive 4-1 win over Cheltenham at Hillsborough.

Darren Moore’s side knew victory would lift them above Sunderland and back them into the top six, but the hosts got off to the worst possible start as Alfie May fired Cheltenham mid-table in front with four minutes on the counter. Massimo Luongo equalized from a corner just three minutes later, and the game remained 1-1 until the break.

Lee Gregory put the hosts in front for the first time in the 58th minute as he found the bottom corner from wide, and Wednesday retired late. Jack Hunt stole home in the 83rd minute and George Byers completed the scoring four minutes later, beating his marker before firing from close range.

Plymouth missed the chance to close in on the top two as their six-game winning streak ended with Ipswich. Sam Morsy’s first-half close-range finish – the first goal Argyle had conceded in seven games – proved enough for the ninth-seeded hosts, who kept hopes of a late push in the playoffs.

At the other end of the table, Gillingham held on for a 2-1 win at Accrington move four points away from the relegation zone. Charlie Kelman opened the scoring after Vadaine Oliver’s shot was saved by Stanley keeper Liam Isherwood, with Oliver then beating Isherwood to a high ball to double the lead. Colby Bishop scored a late consolation from the penalty spot.

Charlie Kelman celebrates his opening with Gillingham fans. Photography: Paul Thompson/ProSports/Shutterstock

AFC Wimbledon stay in the bottom four after Adam May hit a stunning winner for Cambridge at the start of the second half at Plow Lane. Doncaster are in even more trouble, four points from safety with six games remaining, after Jayden Stockley secured a 1-0 victory for Charlton at Keepmoat Stadium. Shrewsbury continued their rise in mid-table safety thanks to Daniel Udoh’s late winner at home for lincoln.

league two

Exeter edged lowly Stevenage at St James Park, winning 2-1 to be just four points behind leaders Forest Green, who were out of action. Sam Stubbs’ first-half brace proved enough to clinch victory, while Northampton remain third after Sam Hoskins’ opening goal secured a 2-0 home win in mid-table Hartlepool.

James Wilson and Jamie Proctor were on target as Port Vale to beat sutton 2-0 to go fourth in the table. Newport draw 0-0 at Bradford while Bristol Routes and Tranmere both lost by an odd goal. Kristian Dennis won the role of Paul Simpson Carlisle the comeback continued against the Pirates, while Junior Tchamadeu’s fine stoppage-time finish got him struggling Colchester a priceless victory.

This late winner was bad news for Oldham, who suffered another loss in stoppage time at Boundary Park. Davis Keillor-Dunn had put the hosts ahead but Mansfield rallied behind Rhys Oates ahead of George Lapslie’s last-minute winner. Wheelbarrow remain in the relegation mix as they lost 2-0 to Leyton East in Phil Brown’s first game in charge.

At the lowest scunthorpe looking doomed, still 10 points from safety after losing 3-0 at home to Harrogate, with Will Smith’s double ending Town’s seven-game losing streak. Elsewhere, Salford came from behind to beat Wallsall 2-1 and Ashley Nadesan got the winner as Crawley to beat Rochedale 1-0.

National League

Wrexham and Dover produced one of the games of the season on non-league day. The promotion-seeking hosts took a 2-0 lead, only to fall 5-2 behind against already relegated opponents. Michael Gyasi netted a 12-minute hat-trick for the visitors early in the second half, but Ollie Palmer’s quick brace gave Wrexham fresh hope at 5-4.

Dover held on until the 91st minute when Jordan Davies equalized and Dan Jarvis did Wrexham 6-5 Dover with practically the last kick of the match. “Bury me in Wales,” tweeted co-chair, Ryan Reynolds, after the final whistle. Wrexham move to second in the standings, 11 points behind the leaders Stockportwho took another step towards a return to the Football League with a 2-0 win at Eastleigh.


Comments are closed.