Former Spanish footballer Santiago Otero, 38, found dead in bath after being electrocuted in freak accident


A FORMER professional footballer has been found dead in his bath after being electrocuted in an abnormal domestic accident.

Santiago Otero’s wife has sounded the alarm after discovering him lifeless by his cell phone at their home in Madrid on his return from a night shift.


Santi played in the Real Oviedo youth team for a seasonCredit: Facebook

Police believe he was electrocuted after his phone fell into the water while charging it.

The 38-year-old, from the Galician town of Viveiro, north of the town of Lugo, reportedly died up to ten hours earlier while taking a bath after his partner left for work.

A spokesperson for a regional government-run emergency services coordination center tweeted: “Domestic accident in Madrid.

“A 38-year-old man died after being electrocuted while taking a bath.

“Paramedics could not confirm that he was dead when he arrived. His partner is assisted by trauma counselors.

“The causes are under investigation by the police.”

Local reports said the deceased, whose full name was Santiago Otero Gonzalez, had a burn mark on his chest where his phone was found.

Paramedics were the first to reach the property after the alarm went off around 8 a.m. Wednesday, but could only certify the victim’s death.

Santi, as he was better known in his native region, had retired from professional football after playing as a center forward for several clubs.

The father-of-two, nicknamed Catanha after the former Brazilian-born Spain international, played for Real Oviedo’s youth team for a season, as well as for his hometown team and others. Galician teams, including Xove Lago and Folgueiro.

Union Deportivo Folgueiro tweeted after learning of the tragedy: “Today is a sad day for our football family due to the death of our former player.

“He was a great companion and friend to all of us, who brightened our afternoons with his goals and laughs.

“We extend our condolences to his family and friends. Rest in peace. So long friend.

Santi, who still played seven-a-side football in his spare time, had moved from his native Galicia to Madrid for professional reasons and lived in the Latina district of the Spanish capital.

Spain’s national police have not yet made any official comments and the results of the autopsy have not been made public.

Instead, they were sent directly to a court with a routine investigation into the death, as is normal in Spain.

In May, a Swiss woman died after her cell phone fell in her bath while he was charging.

The 22-year-old fashion retail worker was electrocuted in the accident, which took place in the cathedral town of Gossau.

Reports at the time indicated that she was charging her phone while watching a TV show.

A spokesman for the prosecution blamed the tragedy on a “faulty charging cable”.

In March, a four-year-old found his mother electrocuted in the bathhouse in the Russian town of Toguchin after an extension cord she was using to charge her cellphone fell into the water.

Otero died in freak accident while his partner was at work


Otero died in freak accident while his partner was at workCredit: Facebook

Anastasia Scherbinina, 25, died of a massive electric shock while talking to a friend.

Her son rushed into the bathroom when he heard a “strange bang” and found his mother unconscious.

The boy managed to save his own life by unplugging the cable before trying to resuscitate his mother who had a “huge burn” to her chest.

Graeme Jones says he will take charge of Newcastle for the next two games

Source link


Comments are closed.