Major League Baseball’s hot stove has heated up this week before an impending work stoppage. The current MLB collective agreement expires Wednesday night at 11:59 p.m. ET, and all free agent activity will be halted until the players’ union and the league come to a new agreement – a process that could take months. .
Many players and teams have rushed to make deals after Thanksgiving and before the lockdown, which has led to a free agent frenzy in the past few days. Six of the top 10 free agents signed on Wednesday:
- SS Carlos Correa: Unsigned
- SS Corey Seager:
- 3B / FROM Kris Bryant: Unsigned
- IF Marcus Semien: 7 years, $ 175 million with the Rangers
- 1B Freddie Freeman: Unsigned
- LHP Robbie Ray: 5 years, $ 115 million with Mariners
- RHP Max Scherzer: 3 years, $ 130 million with the Mets
- RHP Kevin Gausman: 5 years, $ 110 million with the Blue Jays
- RHP Marcus Stroman: Unsigned
- FROM Starling Marte:
The Rangers and Mets have been the most active teams in free agency and it’s not particularly close either. In addition to Seager and Semien, Texas also signed right-hander John Gray and outfielder Kole Calhoun. The Mets signed infielder Eduardo Escobar and outfield Mark Canha in addition to Scherzer and Marte. The two clubs have pledged more than $ 800 million for free agents.
Although free agency has been very active in recent days, the Marlins have been one of the few teams active in the trading market. The Marlins acquired wide receiver Jacob Stallings from the Pirates and infielder Joey Wendle from the Rays this week and sent wide receiver Jorge Alfaro to the Padres.
For what it’s worth, Tuesday served as a ‘soft’ deadline for free agent signings, as teams and players will need time to work out contract details and review medical information before the deadline expires. ‘ABC. The two sides cannot come to a deal at the last minute and put pen to paper. Here’s a look at some notable free agent deals that have occurred since Sunday night.
Notable offers on hot stoves
- Corey Seager and the Rangers struck a 10-year, $ 325 million pact (full story here).
- Max Scherzer and the Mets have finalized a three-year, $ 130 million deal (full story here).
- Robbie Ray agreed to a five-year, $ 115 million deal with the Mariners (full story here).
- James Paxton and the Red Sox have agreed to a single, one-year contract for the southpaw (full story here).
- Marcus Semien agreed to a seven-year, $ 175 million contract with the Rangers (full story here).
- Javier BÃ¡ez has agreed to a six-year, $ 140 million contract with the Tigers (full story here).
- The Marlins and AvisaÃl GarcÃa struck a four-year, $ 53 million deal (full story here).
- Kevin Gausman and the Blue Jays have struck a five-year, $ 110 million deal (full story here).
- Jon Gray and the Rangers struck a four-year, $ 56 million deal (full story here).
- Leury Garcia signed a three-year contract with the White Sox, by Jon Heyman of the MLB Network.
- Corey Kluber signed a one-year contract with the Rays after spending 2021 with the Yankees (full story here).
- Relief Kirby Yates signed a two-year, $ 8.25 million contract with the Braves, the team said.
- Reliever Daniel Hudson is approaching a one-year, $ 7 million contract with the Dodgers, by Jeff Passan from ESPN.
- Wide receiver Yan Gomes agreed to a two-year, $ 13 million contract, reports Craig Mish.
We will provide live updates as teams work to close more deals. Follow below.