NFL sued over San Diego Chargers move

0

SAN DIEGO (CNS) — A lawsuit has been filed against the National Football League alleging that the league and Chargers officials violated NFL relocation policies when team owners approved the Chargers’ move from San Diego to Los Angeles.

The lawsuit was filed by former San Diego City Attorney Michael Aguirre and former San Diego City Chief Assistant Attorney Maria Severson on behalf of San Diego resident Ruth Henricks. The league, all NFL team owners and the city of San Diego are named as defendants.

According to the complaint, a request was made to the City of San Diego to bring an action, but “without response, this taxpayer action is filed.”

The lawsuit filed Monday in San Diego Superior Court alleges that even with the team taking millions in taxpayer dollars and despite numerous efforts by city leaders to keep the team in San Diego, the Chargers owner , Dean Spanos “had already decided to move the team to Los Angeles” by 2006.

The complaint cites a quote from former NFL official Jim Steeg, who told the San Diego Union-Tribune last month that Spanos had already planned the move, “It just took him 10 years to do it.”

Spanos told Chargers fans in a 1997 public statement that the team would stay in San Diego unless the franchise suffered “serious financial hardship,” but according to the lawsuit, Spanos “broke his word” two decades later. late and announced the move to Los Angeles despite the Chargers being worth over $1 billion in 2017.

The lawsuit alleges the NFL and the Chargers violated the league‘s relocation policy by failing to negotiate in good faith with city officials over keeping the team locally and concealing that a move had been in the works since. 2006.

He alleges that despite “a substantial expenditure of public funds” related to the creation of a new San Diego stadium or the upgrading of the existing stadium, “there were no good faith negotiations on the part of the Chargers or the NFL” and “the team has not met with the community or the city in a meaningful way.

Mayor Todd Gloria and City Attorney Mara Elliott released a joint statement that read, “Suing the National Football League is an expensive and uphill battle, as Mr. Aguirre himself has said in interviews. , and his trial on behalf of the taxpayers is in its early stages. . Given that the ratepayers of the city would be the beneficiary of any damages and restitution that the court may award in the event of a dispute, we wish Mr. Aguirre success in this effort.

A hearing in the case is scheduled for July.

Copyright 2022, City News Service, Inc.

Share.

Comments are closed.